Thursday, May 26, 2005

Haloha?

With summer ending soon, is it goodbye, halo-halo? In the oppressive heat of our Philippine summer, only the good 'ole halo-halo has brought me relief and joy. Not ice cream, snow cones, or ice drops. It has got to be halo-halo. It doesn't matter where I buy it - Razon's , the office cafeteria, our neighbor, Ice Monster, on the beach, in the mountains, or at ChowKing. Masarap lahat! Especially when you have Carmie, Cynthia, Malou, Tess, and Tina (in alphabetical order) to share the calories with during lunch =) Wish Marlene was with us, too. I have to be honest, though. My favorite thus far is Razon's halo-halo. Enough said. Hindi po ako nagpa-plug ha. Sarap din ng palabok nila. They have stores along Ortigas Avenue and at Market!Market!

In Pagudpud, their halo-halo had macaroni and peanuts; in Boracay, cheese, gabi and fresh mangoes. I will admit I begged off from those ingredients, except mangoes. Among the traditional ingredients, I love ube, leche flan, nata de coco, sago, saba, corn, pinipig and lots of evaporated milk. Being diabetic, I don't add sugar. A lame effort on my part. Bad girl. Tsk tsk tsk.

After discovering the rather unusual ingredients of halo-halo in the provinces, I can say that truly, halo-halo has lived up to its name. Our favorite dessert does, in fact, have a lot to teach about uniqueness, unity, acceptance. So is it goodbye, halo-halo after the summer? Nevaaahhh! Mabuhay ang halo-halo!

3 Comments:

At 3:07 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger dadaydamakulay said...

beach and halohalo defines summer!

 
At 11:05 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger donna_chocnut said...

dats right! kakalungkot nga, wala nang tindang halo-halo sa cafeteria namin ngayon. tsk tsk. buti sa malls meron pa rin =)

 
At 1:30 PM, June 03, 2005, Blogger meantimemama said...

korek ka jan do ... mabuhay ang halo-halo!!! am not really a fan coz for me the ultimate summer hero is ... ice candy! cheap `no!!! well, must be because for me mas simple, mas ok. kahit anong ice candy basta wag lang avocado ha. at saka pala ice buko ... as in, ung nilalako sa kalye (meron pa kayang ganito ngayon?) na tig-50 cents (oops, nahahalata edad ko).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home